Much like burning sage, Sweet Grass has almost the same effect. It can change the energy of the room in minutes and as such also aids in clarity and concentration. Of all our senses, the sense of smell is the strongest and a good smell can bring back happy memories or an event, place or person. So use happy smells repeatedly.
While Sage is famous to remove negative energies, Sweet Grass is commonly used by Native Americans for welcoming in the positive energy into their space. Sweet Grass smudging can be done on its own or after a smudging session with sage has been carried out.
Sweet Grass is loved by people because of its vanilla – like smell which is pleasant and perfect for people who do not like the strong smells from incense sticks. It is also a great way of adding natural fragrances (as are sage and palo santo), if you are trying to avoid chemical based air fresheners.
Sweet grass is known as the hair of Mother Earth. It is braided with 3 strands that represent the 3 virtues of Mother Earth which are honesty, love and kindness for people.
– Use a candle or a long nosed lighter for burning Sweet Grass.
– Light up the Sweet Grass braid from one end and blow on it gently. You will not see a strong flame but once it is lit, it will release smoke.
– Walk around the space that you wish to cleanse with Sweet Grass.
– Sweet Grass is known to invite positive energy into the space; so have a clear intention of invoking this positive energy and hold positive thoughts while doing this ritual.
– When you feel you are done; just dab the lit end of the Sweet Grass braid into an incense tray/ a metal bowl / some soil and leave it.
– Repeat the same steps for your next smudging ritual with Sweet Grass.
– Each braid should last you for multiple uses.