When looking for crystals for love, people usually think of the Rose Quartz. While Rose quartz surely is excellent for work related to the Heart Chakra and mending a broken heart; the true hero for maintaining a long and committed relation with your partner is Amethyst.
Every gem has a specific month, a Guardian Angel, Archangel, Saint (in some cases), a wedding anniversary, etc. Amethyst is marked as the stone for the month of February. Amethyst is the stone of Saint Valentine. It is the stone for faithful lovers because as legend goes, St. Valentine was known to wear a ring with an Amethyst which also had the engraving of Cupid on it.
Diamonds have gained popularity over time as the choice of gem for an engagement ring; however if you are looking for a stone that speaks of a deeper meaning in a relation then Amethyst should be your choice. Nicknamed as the couples stone, Amethyst helps in strengthening relations as it gives a promise of fidelity; which over time helps in having a deeper connection with your soulmate.
Amethyst can be used to bring back, bring forward or retain a loving relationship. Couples also use Amethyst rings as a promise to fidelity in a relation. Legend also states that you can speak the name of lost love into an Amethyst stone to call them back. We can’t confirm if this is just an old wives tale, but surely worth a try if that is what can bring us true happiness.
On a physical level, Amethyst are well known to help with migraines and headaches if you dip the Amethyst in running water and rub it on the forehead anti-clockwise. Make sure to use a smooth polished tumble stone for this. You can even carry a piece with you or wear it as jewellery.
The word Amethyst in Ancient Greek language meant – not to be intoxicated. Amethyst is said to help with reducing addiction, OCD, hyperactivity in children – nicknamed for this reason as natures tranquilliser. It was also worn as a gem of protection as amulets around the chest by Egyptian dignitaries.
Fast Facts about Amethyst:
- Related Chakra: Brow or Third Eye Chakra
- Amethyst is the purple form of crystallised quartz. The presence of Manganese during formation is what gives this quartz its beautiful purple hues.
- Traditionally and until present times, Amethyst rings have been the choice of gems of Bishops.
- Amethyst has the power to control evil thoughts, to quicken intelligence and help make business men shrewd in their business matters – this was the belief of the famous Leonardo da Vinci.
- Amethyst was once revered as the “Jewel of the Gods”.
- Farmers held the belief that wearing Amethyst will help in protecting their crops form locusts and hailstones. (That is a very expensive pesticide we think!)
- Amethyst is mainly mined and sourced from Brazil, Africa and Uruguay.
- The word Amethyst is derived from the Greek word “Amethystos” which means “remedy against drunkenness”. This is because the ancients believed that the stone protected its owner from drunkenness. Cheers!
Now that you know better, treat your loved one with some beautiful Amethyst pieces this Valentines Day. View our range of Amethyst products here.
Sending lots of love your way for Valentines Day and everyday. M